Monday, September 17, 2007

Things Keep Goin Up :)

It seems like no matter where I go, I keep hearing about health. I mean, I guess I could be picking up on it more because I'm in a health class but regardless, I'm hearing it and the more you hear it the more you believe it. Not that I'm gonna do some crazy hollywood starve yourself diet (haha, me? starving myself? pigs would fly before i could do that.) Anyways, I've just decided to try and eat a more balanced diet and so far, it's working really well, i don't know if I've lost weight or not, I refuse to weigh myself because a number on a scale means nothing. I measure my progress on how my clothes fit and right now, my clothes are getting bigger and bigger on me. SUH-WEET! So what sparked this sudden concern with health?

Well, it started last spring before school got out. I went shopping with my friend Maria (aka:Marla, Martha, etc.) at American Eagle and none of their clothes fit me. Man, that bummed me out. But anyways, I decided that by the beginning of the school year I would fit into their clothes. So that's what started and what continued it was the ten components of maturity sermon from Pastor Joel Stockstill (the same one I mentioned in my previous blog) and under wisdom it said that we need to take care of our bodies and we need to be in shape. Man, I felt like Pastor Joel was talking to me, and boy did that push me even further to start trying to be healthier! So, for the rest of the summer I tried to eat healthier and I guess it worked because all the clothes I tried on at American Eagle and Aeropostale fit! WOOT!

Since schools started I've been in health class and we've been learning about nutrition. Man, oh man is america unhealthy! Let me give you some quick facts about mcdonalds, and health in general:

  • Since 1980 the obesity rate has doubled.
  • America is the fattest nation.
  • Mississippi is the fattest state.
  • Houston is the fattest city in the US.
  • Five of the fattest cities are in Texas.
  • Obesity is the 2nd most common death reason, smoking is first.
  • Small fries at mcdonalds are 200 calories, a supersize has 600 calories.
  • 1 gallon of soda has 84 tsps of sugar. That means one can has 12 tsps of sugar.
  • It's estimated that one in three kids born after the year 2000 will have diabetes.

Ew, ew, ew. We had to watch supersize me in class, it was so nasty. I honestly never want to eat fast food ever! the saddest fact would definitely be that more kids know who Ronald McDonald is than Jesus. That is so messed up! I'm not even gonna get started on that topic because it is a whole 'nother blog!

Other than the whole new found helathy thing I'm happy to say that being girly is now total second nature (haha, for those of you who know about my "be girly" campaign i started back at the conference lol.) Urgh, I can't believe I used to dress so boyish bleh.) Hmm... what else is new? Oh, ok, an update on my family- my immediate family is getting so close, its amazing. Like tonight, we sat down and watched a movie together after dinner. Last time we did that... I have nooooo idea. It wasn't exactly the most family oriented movie but it was one that totally made fast food seem even nastier to me.

Please keep praying for unity in my mom's side of the family, and please pray for my family's salvation, they're so close i can tell and God is really doing a lot in them so please keep praying. Hopefully tomorrow my dad and I are gonna go to the DOL and I'm gonna renew my permit, then I'm gonna go out to the mall and try to find a job. Thank you so much again for your prayers :)

-Devyn

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.